Tuesday, February 19, 2008

LISSA’S: Confessions of an abused Wal-Mart customer

We've recently added a person to our friend's list that has been (repeatedly) abused by the Wal-Mart system and its associates. It all started out that she posted a bulletin in anger about her bad experience at her local Wal-Mart. Here's the bulletin:


Date: Feb 15, 2008 6:25 PM


I recently bought a tv for my bedroom for Walmart. I am barely in the bedroom and mostly use the tv in the living room which is a larger tv but I wanted something cheap for the bedroom that I could watch sometimes before going to bed or when waking up or cleaning, etc.. Well the tv that I bought is an Emerson 20" Flat screen sdtv that was on sale for $130 at Walmart. It only worked for two weeks and died, I only used it maybe 100-200 minutes in the ENTIRE two weeks. I mostly use my living room televsion. I felt so stupid because I somehow lost the receipt but kept the box. I had it folded down in my walk in closet just taking extra space but I knew that I better keep the box for a while just in case something bad happened and well it did. On day 14, yesterday I called Walmart and talked to a manager who said without the receipt I could not return or exchange it. The night manager didn't even want to exchange it at all or even deal with me which was a nightmare and scared me because I thought I had lost all that money! I was about it tears, I was so upset about it. Especially since everyone knows me by name at this Walmart, I shop there sooooo much! I was so upset because I had the box and the tv was barely used and broken, I felt robbed. The next day which is this morning btw.. I called the same Walmart and talked to a different manager who said that they can look the serial number up from the box and return it that way but I HAD to know the exact day that I bought it in order for them to look it up in the computer. I knew that I bought it on FEB1 and so they looked it up and found it in the computer register. I was allowed to exchange it for another one just like it. I had bought the last one two weeks ago but LUCKILY they got more stock in a few days ago. I was so thankful that I was able to return it! They said that I got lucky because TODAY WAS THE LAST DAY that I can return it because they only give a 15 day return on computers and TV's.. I am sooooo thankful but also nervous because I hope that this tv will last longer then two weeks. I am testing the tv heavily right now, even though I am not using it to make sure that it will not break in a few weeks.. I guess you pay for what you get but I have bought some good Emerson products before. Also btw Emerson states on the box and manual that it is a manufatures 1 YR warranty but when I called Emerson they were not wanting to issue that warranty. I had called them after I was turned down by Walmart the first time so that is not good that they were not going to honor it. Right now I have 15 days to see if this NEW tv is going to work for me and not go out.. I hope so! The tv scared me because it was making a loud popping noise and the picture was blinking on and off and getting faster and faster.. That is really strange! I called Walmart just a few minutes ago to ask a different manager because I was so curious why I was being told different information. I asked about the return policy on TV's and this lady said that they cannot return it at all without the receipt. It is driving me crazy that NO ONE from Walmart seems to know what they are talking about. The first manager said that they couldn't look the serial online which was a blunt lie because I was able to exchange my tv today with talking to a different manager. I wish that they were all trained to know what they are talking about but no one seems to have the right answer. I guess all managers are different, if one turns you down then you should try a different one. I really thank God for being able to get this replacement just in time.. I know that it is only $140 total but that is still a lot of money for a barely used tv and a lot of work with me having to lift it down stairs by myself and drive it back to the store. I just don't think that there employees nor managers are trained to know what they are talking about. Even customer service associates have to look on there wall to see return info and when asking them you would think that it is there first day there. I know more about Walmart's products and return info then most or all of the employees and that is quite rediculous... Has anyone else had a similar story? I know so many people that refuse to step foot in Walmart and I also know several people who love Walmart because of there low low prices.. I like it because I can shop there at night when everything else is closed. Everyone at night knows me at my local Walmart... I also like it because there carry the Lucy barbies! Sometimes I think that I really like Walmart but then other times I get fed up with there employees because they don't know anything and don't seem trained right and that makes me not want to shop there. I guess you have to sacrifce service for low prices.. What do you guys think..






Just so you know, she is being lied to. I know first hand the way Wal-Mart works. If they scan a tv out by using a serial number, you can look it up by serial number. It doesn't matter which store you bought it at. Any store can look it up. You don't even have to have a date. You look it up by manufacturer and serial number. It is stored on the Wal-Mart corporate computer for one year. For them to tell her that is just a plain lie.


Also, the Wal-Mart policy for returns in Electronics: 15 days for MP3 players, computers and anything with internal memory. 30 days for cameras and camcorders. 45 days for computer parts. 90 days for televsions, dvd players and all other electronics. The only exception is a Sanyo brand television. Sanyo has a deal with Wal-Mart that their televisions have a 365 day return policy. You can return any Sanyo tv to ANY Wal-mart up to a year after purchase.


Again another lie to her.


The only time they need a date, they need the date, time and register. That is so they can pull up the receipt for the purchase.


Third lie to her was that you needed a receipt. Wal-Mart corporate policy does not make you have to have a receipt. They know many people get mad at Target because of their strict return policies. So, Wal-Mart maintains a policy that is far more simplified. No receipts are necessary. It goes with their "The customer is always right" motto. Therefore a customer can return anything with just their signature and driver's license. I have personally seen things come back to Wal-Mart with K-Mart logos on it. I have seen generic food from other local grocery stores returned to Wal-Mart. How can you have a receipt if you bought it at a different store?


On returning items, your first mistake is going in when the service desk is closed. This makes it a manager's decision on whether or not to accept the item. Managers are trained to always have a scapegoat. They rarely make a final decision when it comes to a customer. They want an associate to do it. Then if a problem arises from the transaction, they can blame the associate, covering their tail.



Well the story for this lady doesn't stop there! She posts a second bulletin:



I have now received two very very nasty messages about my last post about Walmart. I absolutely had no intentions of hurting or offending anyone when I decided to place that bulletin. I had no clue that people could be so cruel and judgemental. Those messages were just totally un called for and not fair. Please do not email me threats and hurtful messages because I do care about all of my friends and it upsets me that those people took it so personally. I was just posting my experience it was not to hurt anyone nor employees of Walmart so I do apologize if I did offend anyone but again those messages were so un called for.



Curious about this situation (and knowing how rude Wal Mart associates can get), I emailed her and asked her about the threats. This is what she had to say:


I had one girl that emailed me and with some very rude comments.. Gosh I did not think my bulletin would be that harmful! A girl who claims to work at Walmart who btw is 20 years old just really cursed me and told me that Walmart does not need my business, etc.. I have fowarded the message below. I have begged people not to critisize me for my opinions because I am not trying to hurt anyone. Why do people have to be so cruel.... Here is the message below..



"... you're very rude and inconsiderate. I work @ Wal*Mart and am very good at my job and what I do. & I have a feeling that everyone at night that knows you at your local Wal*Mart would wish that they did not know you after the things that you wrote. If ya know more about the return information then people that actually work at Wal*Mart then ya should have known to keep your receipt. Especially4an expensive purchase come on that is common knowledge. It workz that way at most storez not just Wal*Mart. & trust me Wal*Mart employees do not care if people like you take your business elsewhere. We have plenty of smart customerz that we can afford to not have the dumb onez shopping there."



Okay, as a former Wal Mart Associate, I know the policy "The Customer is Always Right". This "associate" that just down talked this customer is very typical. This is the kind of Customer Service that Wal-Mart is now known for. Wal-Mart has brought in so much money, they could care less about customer service, which is why the associate told this customer "Wal*Mart employees do not care if people like you take your business elsewhere. We have plenty of smart customerz that we can afford to not have the dumb onez shopping there."



Let's think about this phrase the next time we step into a Wal-Mart!

No comments: