Wednesday, April 16, 2008

BILL'S: Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

A guy walks into a biker meeting and calls everyone "wusses" and then goes on to ask them for money.

As much as this sounds like a line from a joke, it isn't. This is the attitude of Texoma. A worker from Wal-Mart went into the local Harley-Davidson shop where they were having their monthly Harley Owners Group (HOG) meeting. Being that the meeting was being held right after work, and most people in the group lived several miles away, they went straight there from their workplaces. When the worker saw most of the people drove their cars to their meeting instead of going home, changing clothes, and coming back to Sherman on their motorcycles in a time of over $3.00 gas, he called everyone in the meeting "wusses" for not driving their motorcycles. The reason he was there? He was arranging a charity event for Children's Miracle Network. The charity event, called a "poker run", is something real popular with motorcyclist and boaters. So, it was only natural to include the local motorcycle groups. It is just the beginning which was more to be desired. Now with the Wal-Mart "Poker Run" coming quickly, the HOG group has posted another event on the same day. Not trying to downgrade the charity, but to show people that there is better ways to ask for donations.

This attitude is only a scratch on the surface in the area. One of the hardest things to find in this area is a smile. I remember one of the local McDonald's had an item on the menu: "Smiles Are Free." Never once did I receive one of those free smiles. And when someone asked for one, all you would get is a sarcastic grin. Just yesterday, Lissa and I went to Cold Stone Creamery. As we exited the door, a lady came over and stood their waiting for us to get in the car. She stood their with a huge scowl on her face, never once lightening up.

As a Wal-Mart employee, I get yelled at and demanded all the time. One of the most impressive moments I have had was when this young boy came up to me and said, "Pardon me, sir, could I get a game?" I was bowled over. I couldn't believe I was hearing this from a young person from this area. As I went up to the kid's parents, I engaged in my usually chat trying to answer questions and make sure everyone was getting everything they asked for. I couldn't get over the family's accent, and asked where they were from. Visitors from Canada. Yes, I should have known. Asking for politeness in this area is asking too much.

It brings to mind one of the best examples a person can make. One night there was a line at the Kodak Picture Makers. These machines are clearly labeled for their times of operation. The workers in the One Hour Photo were on a timeline to get the lab closed down, the outside machines down, everything cleaned, and off the clock before their scheduled time to leave. To help, I got at the end of the line, and as people finished, I would turn off the Kodak machine. I was down to the last machine, it was 20 minutes past the time for the machines to be shut off, and the couple working on it had just finished. Right then, a group of ladies came around the corner and started yelling, "Don't turn it off!" They came up and demanded that I get out of the way so they could make a couple of pictures. I told them that it was too late, and we had to shut down the machines. I made reference to the posted times. They began cussing me out. Yelling at me. "How long will it take just to make a couple of pictures?" They asked. I am sorry, I have a job to do. Wal-Mart employees can be terminated for going over their designated times. To me it comes down to what is more important, these strangers who are yelling cuss words at me to make a couple of pictures or being able to feed my family. I am sorry, my job is more important, and I stand my ground. So, they yell one more time at me, "I need this for my f*cking Sunday School class in the morning, how in the hell are you helping my f*cking church?" That made up my mind, and I flipped the switch. This person cussing me out is a Sunday School teacher. Now I am glad my family doesn't go to any of the local churches.

In our travels to Houston, it is like traveling to another country. I have often made a unique connection. While traveling down I-45, halfway between Sherman and Houston you cross a place called Bliss Creek. To the south of this creek, slowly, the grass gets greener, the trees get taller, and after a time, more tropical. It is like climbing the Stairway to Heaven. To the north of Bliss Creek, grass starts dying, turning brown, trees have almost disappeared. Landscape goes to industrial, with huge plots of land with only storage units. The attitude changes. From Bliss Creek north, rudeness takes over as you travel further and further. Truly the Highway to Hell.... Texoma Hell.

In my experience, in Houston, everyone is so polite, I almost don't know how to handle it. Just checking into a motel, I get maps, coupons, advice. Going to a local vender, I tell them we are getting ready to move into the area and I get all kinds of welcomes and advice of where to look for homes. Everyone welcomes you so open armed. Even in moments of stupidity: As I was driving from Clear Lake to Galveston, a couple in a car nearby started switching lanes without looking. They came very close to hitting us. I had to swerve quickly to avoid them. I honked my horn as I swerved. Everyone in the car looked at us and apologized profusely. At that point in time, I let it go, they were genuinely sorry.

Same events for Texoma. A lady driving a small white car almost runs me off the road. As I brake hard to avoid her, I honk my horn. I get a long line of obscene gestures from the lady driver. And it doesn't just stop here. For the next three miles, she attacks us with violent car movements and gestures. When she comes to her turnoff, she speeds up, rolls down her windown, and then slows down to let me catch up as she yells something out the window as I pass by.

Where do you want to live? A place where everyone is rude and hateful, or a place that is very welcoming? A place with community pride, or a place that could care less? Community Pride is something missing around here. And as an update to my blog about the guy who illegally dumped, to date, no one has investigated, no one has cared. I have even expanded my complaints to KTEN news, Info Magazine and Texoma Living Magazine. No one has cared. Great examples of community pride for this area. Someone does something wrong and let's look the other way.

But I know what you are going to say. There is too much crime in Houston! Although there was a carjacking in the Sherman Wal-Mart parking lot yesterday. They have hurricanes in Houston! A big, slow moving storm that gives you days of notice before striking. Nothing like the freak storm which hit this area last week, dropping tornadoes, flash floods, and winds which damaged millions of dollars of property. My only notice was waking up to the house shaking, and the warning of a tornado three miles away from my house.

Maybe it is just one man's thought of the area? Well, I looked around. I am including some more examples that aren't from me or my family. You don't have to believe me. But I guess asking people to open their eyes and decide for yourself is asking too much as well.






Yolanda Adams, Entertainer, Grammy winner

Growing up in Houston was exciting and fun for me and my family. We had so many places to go and so much to do.

When I get home off the road, I usually run to Whole Foods to stock up on groceries and then I head home to relax and unwind. Of course, spa treatments are always in order. The Root of You and Persona Day Spa are my favorites because they offer a variety of services.

There are many words that describe Houston, but all encompassing would be the most adequate. There are great museums—our cultural arts centers are bar none. Our sports arenas are awesome, and we love great restaurants. Whether single or family oriented, we have appropriate activities for all.

I have so many fond memories of Houston events. One of my favorites has to be the lighting of the Christmas tree at City Hall. The event is always festive and alive!

Favorite places to eat?

Houston has the best people, restaurants and entertainment around. Trust me, I've been everywhere and still would live in no other city but Houston. I Love You, Houston!




Leven Rambin, Actress, All My Children

I have absolutely great memories of growing up in Houston. I lived in Memorial and felt such a sense of community through my friends and neighborhood, St. Francis Episcopal Day School and all my teachers (like 2nd parents!) and pastor, Jim Jackson at Chapelwood Methodist Church.

When I come home to Houston, I always visit The Galleria, Houston Country Club, Ruggles and La Madeleine for that tomato soup and caeser salad! I go around Memorial Park at least once every day when I am home.

When describing Houston to friends in New York, I tell them about the ample amount of space. I like those big back yards especially now since I don't have one. I tell them about Goode Company and Otto's BBQ, big cars, bayous and some hot weather.

My favorite time to come back is Christmas time.

I love the Verizon Wireless Theater. If there is someone there that I want to see perform, I like that venue, just the right size. Also, I know that Houston had its first Fashion Week. I definitely want to come back for that next year!

My favorite Houston memories....Being a kid, involved in sports, having good friends my age, my school and having a teacher pull my first tooth (not a great time when it happend but a great memory now). Oh, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo...those rides!

I love to shop at Out of the Box on Woodway. In fact I was in there when I got the call that I was chosen for the part on All My Children - I went crying right to Billie Sue. After shopping I go right next door to Smoothie Island. I like Escalante's Mexican food. Encore on San Felipe has tons of very gently worn designer clothes at great prices, so I go there, too.

The people in Houston are friendly, warm and charitable. I get homesick sometimes and realize what a special place it was to grow up there. Houston is a family friendly place.

Houston and New York are similiar in that both are big cities, have lots to offer anyone and I find both to be friendly and welcoming. Houston and NYC both have incredible restaurants! Did I mention that Houston has lots of room and big back yards? I got nada in NYC! Taxis, subways and walking are the main forms transportation in NYC. Both are wonderful experiences.






Beyonce Knowles, Entertainer

Growing up in Houston was fun. We always had a huge backyard to play in. My mom allowed my friends to come over all the time; it was like a continuous slumber party at our house. I spent my summers going to AstroWorld, SplashTown, Ms. Darlett's dance class & showcases. I had a great childhood in Houston!

When I come home to Houston, I go straight to my mom’s house to eat some home cooked food. I love to go to my church St. John's on West Gray and go up to my management company Music World Entertainment.

When I describe Houston to friends who have never been here, I first have to tell them, no, it's not like the country films you see on TV! I like to describe Houston as a great place to raise a family.

You get nice southern people with a city atmosphere. You can buy a great home in a price range to fit your income. The great thing is, whether you or your children are into arts, sports, music, business, etc., there is a place for you to grow into and learn all of those things right here in Houston.

I always come back during Thanksgiving, Christmas and the Houston Rodeo. Also, now that I have a nephew, I come back home for all of his birthdays.

I would have to say some of my favorite memories of Houston are performing at my mother’s hair salon and the music showcases we entered trying to get discovered. I can recall how hard my mother and father worked scheduling rehearsals, designing costumes and booking shows. Houston is where my stage presence and confidence was developed.

My favorite places to eat are Frenchy's Chicken, This Is It and Pappadeaux. I shop at The Galleria.

I love Houston. Some of the best moments of my life took place there. This will always be home to me!







Haylie Duff, Entertainer

Houston is a place where the people are real. Growing up, there was a real sense of family, and the neighborhood had a cool feeling of cohesiveness. When I come home, I always visit The Galleria. I love to shop at Tootsies. I love the spring, with the bluebonnets along the highways, and the weather is awesome. I never want to miss the Houston Rodeo.I love the food and the people. I think that Houston is a special American city, and everyone should come for a visit.
















Hilary Duff, Entertainer

Growing up in Houston was amazing! I love the bluebonnets along the highway. I remember the rainstorms and thunderstorms. I loved spending my summers in the swimming pools. To this day, I think that Houston has the best food anywhere in the world!

I tell people who have never been to Houston that it is a great city to visit for a day to shop and eat and meet nice people. Houston is a special city which attracts tourists from all over the world.

I always like to go to Neiman's for lunch and shopping. I love the monkey bread and the strawberry butter. The salads are wonderful, too. I also go to my Aunt Roz's house to see my niece, Haylie.

My favorite time is in the fall because the leaves fall off of the trees, and the weather is cool and breezy. I love to go to the Houston Rodeo. It is a time to celebrate being a true American and enjoying life with family and friends. The Houston Rodeo has been a longtime tradition for my family over many decades.

One of my favorite Houston memories would be when I visited the Butterfly Museum [at the Houston Museum of Natural Science]. I remember the butterflies would come right up and land on your shoulders. I also liked to go to the Children’s Museum. They had cool interactive areas, and we had Haylie’s 6th birthday party there. We had everyone dress up like the '50s - we had a wonderful time.

I LOVE to eat at James Coney Island and eat chili dogs and frito pies. I love Shipley's donuts—they have Kolaches, and they are to die for! I love Mexican food at Escalante's. I like to shop at the Galleria, particularly Neiman's and the David Yurman store.

I will always love Houston. It is a great place to live and raise a family.






George Foreman, Boxer, Olympic Gold Medalist, Entertainer

Houston's home. Just like a homing pigeon, no matter how far I go, nature always pulls me back.

The city's best kept secret is that it's the home of great food. My favorite places to eat are Pappadeaux, Ruth's Chris and, of course, Vic & Anthony's.

Houston is a BIG city, and because it's so big, the opportunities are unlimited. There's something for everyone. It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from.

If I had one wish for Houston, I hope it never changes.

Click here to watch One Day in Houston, a 12-minute documentary on Houston, narrated by George Foreman.







A.J. Foyt, Auto Racing Legend

Houston is where I was born and raised. It’s where my kids were born and raised—it’s home. I have traveled all over the country—to Europe, Australia and Asia—but I love coming home to Houston. It’s where I belong—it’s where my heart is.

It’s a clean city; there’s a lot to do whether it’s going to an Astros or Texans game or the Houston Rodeo, which is one of the biggest in the country.

Houston has concerts and shows and a lot of great restaurants. My favorite restaurants are Taste of Texas for steaks, Carrabba’s for Italian food and Molina’s for Mexican food.

I don’t shop that much but my wife does. You can find whatever you want at The Galleria and Town & Country Village.

My most memorable experience in Houston would have to be driving a copy of the GT car that I won the 24 Hours of Le Mans with. In the early 70’s, I drove it over 200 mph on the 610 freeway. There weren’t nearly as many cars on the road back then.

No comments: